My research interests lie in the field of microbial ecology and soil biodiversity. Simply put, I have been “engaged” to microorganisms since I began my scientific journey and studying them under different scenarios has always been my major focus of interest. Generally speaking, microorganisms play key roles in carbon and nutrient cycling, plant and animal health, and agriculture. Changes in their diversity and activities will have an influence on the resilience of all other organisms and hence on the ecosystem functioning. It is therefore crucial to broaden our knowledge about the microbial “unseen” majority because although invisible to the naked eye, they are vital components of our lives. I currently work on three main lines of research.
75) Beesigamukama D., Gómez-Brandón M., Tanga C., 2022. Potential of entomocomposting towards organic waste and soil pathogen suppression. In: Huang K., Bhat S.A., Cui G. (Eds.), Fate of Biological Contaminants during Recycling of Organic Wastes. Elsevier, pp.47-63.
74) Gómez-Brandón M., Fornasier F., de Andrade N., Domínguez J. The influence of earthworms on the microbiological properties and extracellular enzyme activities during vermicomposting of raw and distilled marc. Journal of Environmental Management 319:115654.
73) Podmirseg S.P., Gómez-Brandón M., Muik M., Stres B., Hell M., Pümpel T., Murthy S., Kartik C., Insam H., Wett B, 2022. DEMON goes mainstream - Microbiological survey on the first full-scale implementation of mainstream deammonification. Water Research 218:118517.
72) Bardelli T., Pathan S.I., Arfaioli P., Vignozzi N., Pellegrini S., Fornasier F., Egli M., Gómez-Brandón M., Insam H., Pietramellara G., Ascher-Jenull J., 2022. Soil slope exposure affects physico-chemical and microbiological properties in soil aggregate fractions. Land 11: 750.
71) Gómez-Brandón M., Herbón C., Probst M., Fornasier F., Barral M.T., Paradelo-Nuñez, P., 2022. Influence of land use on the microbiological properties of urban soils. Applied Soil Ecology 175:104452.
70) Gómez-Brandón M., Martínez-Cordeiro H., Domínguez J. 2021. Changes in the nutrient dynamics and microbiological properties of grape marc in a continuous-feeding vermicomposting system. Waste Management 135:1-10.
69) Kurzemann F.R., Fernández-Delgado Juárez M., Probst M., Gómez-Brandón M., Partl C., Insam H. 2021. Effect of biomass fly ashes from fast pyrolysis bio-oil production on soil properties and plant yield. Journal of Environmental Management, 298:113479.
68) Probst M., Ascher-Jenull J., Insam H., Gómez-Brandón M. 2021. The molecular information about deadwood bacteriomes partly depends on the targeted environmental DNA. Frontiers in Microbiology, 12:640386.
67) Siles J.A., García-Sánchez M., Gómez-Brandón M. 2021. Studying microbial communities through co-occurrence network analyses during processes of waste treatment and in organically amended soils. Microorganisms, 9:1165.
66) Tukanghan W., Hupfauf S., Gómez-Brandón M., Insam H., Salvenmoser W., Prasertsan P., Cheirsilp B., O-Thong S. 2021. Symbiotic Bacteroides and Clostridium-rich methanogenic consortium enhanced biogas production of high-solid anaerobic digestion systems. Bioresource Technology Reports 14:100685.
65) Hupfauf S., Etemadi M., Fernández-Delgado Juárez M., Gómez-Brandón M., Insam H., Podmirseg S.M. 2020. CoMA-an intuitive and user-friendly pipeline for amplicon-sequencing data analysis. Plos One 15(12):e0243241.
64) Gómez-Brandón M., Aira M., Domínguez J. 2020. Vermicomposts are biologically different: microbial and functional diversity of green vermicomposts. In: Bhat S.A. et al. (Eds). Earthworm Assisted Remediation of Effluents and Wastes. Springer Nature, Singapur, pp. 150-170
63) Gómez-Brandón M., Probst M., Siles J.A., Peintner U., Bardelli T., Egli M., Insam H., Ascher-Jenull J. 2020. Fungal communities and their association with nitrogen-fixing bacteria affect early decomposition of Norway spruce deadwood. Scientific Reports 10:8025.
JOINING THE TEAM
I am looking for motivated and engaged (under)graduate students that have a specific interest in microbial ecology or environmental research related to the fields on this website. I am also opened to discuss some other research questions within the field of microbial ecology you may be interested in. Please do not hesitate to get in touch for further details!
TEAM AND COLLABORATORS
I strongly believe that establishing collaborations is an important value in science. It gives you the possibility to exchange ideas and face new challenges that will help you to grow as a scientist. Here it is my scientific collaboration network (always looking to add to it!):
November 2022: Our book chapter about insect frass and entomocomposting has just got accepted. Thanks for this nice collaboration with Dr. Tanga and Dr. Beesigamukama from Icipe research center!
July 2022: Giorgia and Maraike arrived to the lab! They are going to do a research stay with us. I look forward to our discussions!
June 2022: New publication in Journal of Environmental Management dealing with the impact of earthworms during vermicomposting of grape marc. Thanks to all the co-authors!
June 2022: Susana and Francisco successfully defended their bachelor theses. Enhorabuena chic@s!
May 2022: Our paper just got accepted in Water Research! Such a nice collaboration with friends/colleagues from Austria, USA and Slovenia. Congrats to all!
February 2022: Our paper about urban land uses has been published in Applied Soil Ecology. Thanks for this nice collaboration with friends/colleagues from Santiago, Austria and Italy. Soil health matters also in urban greenspaces!
Irene is going to focus her Master thesis on the corn silage project funded by the Fields4ever initiative within the period 2021/22. Welcome Irene!